Monday, July 30, 2012

First Impressions

Whew - what a week!  I have managed to get enough of our stuff unpacked so that we can function and now am feeling pretty lazy about the rest!  Hard to get motivated to unpack when there is so much stuff around us to do and explore!   While Hubby was at work all week, the girls and I managed to get out each day and find something new, even though most of it was shopping related.   We  miss our friends and family back home dearly, but am putting on the brave faces and taking steps forward to making this our new home for a while.

My initial impressions after a full week are that the people couldn't be more friendly and helpful!   And, it is very charming up here - the mailman still walks door to door and delivers mail to your porch.  As a friend commented, very Norman Rockwell.   I want to take his picture to post, but afraid he might think I am a little crazy.  I will wait at least another week before I make him pose for me!  I have been asked to say things and repeat myself - they love to hear us talk.   Apparently, even the word water is said differently up here.   We have been given loads of advice and suggestions - apparently everyone is related to someone who owns something around here!

To make the move official, I went to the DOT and receive my PA license.   I am not sure which was more scary - seeing my face on a license for a state other than GA OR taking my girls with me to the DMV?? Actually, the entire process was quick, took only 20 minutes and I was further impressed that they do not put your weight on the license.   I didn't even have to lie to them!

On the topic of weight, I have been void of the gym for several weeks now and can feel the effect of not running and working out like I normally do.   So, we joined the Upper Main Line YMCA and have no excuses this week!  Back to Body Pump, Spin, and treadmill work.   It is a huge facility and looks like a college campus.  Apparently, it was the country estate of a family who was involved in the Reading Railroad and Penn Station in NYC - the prettiest Y I have ever laid eyes upon.  They have 5 pools, so we have found a way to beat the heat up here for the remainder of summer. 

Finally, to top of our week, our new lovely neighbors, P & E, invited us over for dinner last night.   It was nice getting to know and making friendships so quickly.   Our kids got along swimmingly and we are already planning future dinners and play dates!  They have been extremely helpful in getting us acquainted with our surroundings and recommending businesses to us that we might need.   God has once again answered my prayers and blessed us with great neighbors.  So thankful!

I think we are going to be okay and like it up here - at least until it snows!

No comments:

Post a Comment