Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mangia! Mangia!

What???
Why the weather outside is brutal right now, I won't punish the great north east for it.   At least not yet - it looks like there is some relief next week from these below freezing temps!   Instead I will focus on the the positives of the Philly area - my personal favorite being that there are Italian influences everywhere - most notably the restaurants!!  And really good ones!!

Despite mentally knowing that my heritage is primarily German & Scottish, my heart would like to think there are some secret Italian roots buried deep within my soul.   I adore so much about the culture - from just the sound of the language, to the love of family, and of course - the love of food!!  And living in this area really allows me to buy some great Italian food, cuts of meats, delicious cheeses, fresh veggies, etc,.  So if not dining out on an Italian feast, I can try to make one at home.

One of my favorite dishes to make on a cold day is Pasta e Fagioli.   There are a gazillion recipes and ways to make this soup.  Is it ground beef or sausage?  With or without kidney beans?  Fresh versus dried herbs?   Any which way it is made, it always comes out delicious and comforting on a day when Old Man Winter rears his ugly head!  So here is my favorite recipe in case any of you are a human popsicle like myself and need a little soup for the soul in order to defrost! 

Pasta e Fagioli
1 lb bulk hot Italian sausage ( I use turkey sausage myself)
2 large carrots, diced
3 celery ribs, diced
1 onion, diced
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
2 sprigs rosemary, stems removed and chopped
4 sprigs thyme
salt and pepper
8 cups chicken broth or stock
15 oz can canellini beans (white kidney beans)
1 cup ditalini pasta (or other very small pasta)
A few handfuls of spinach (you can omit if you don't like - most traditional recipes don't call for it but I add for the extra nutrients)
grated parmesan cheese
crusty bread, for serving (we always get sourdough)

Heat large soup pot over medium high heat.  Add sausage and stir, breaking into small pieces as it browns.  Cook until browned, 3-4 minutes.  Add carrot, celery, onion, garlic to pan.  Add small bit of olive oil if there are not enough drippings from sausage.  Add bay leaf, rosemary, and sprigs of thyme.  Cook until vegetables are softened, about 5 minutes.
Add in chicken broth, 2 cups of water, and canellini beans.  Cover the pot, and bring to a boil over high heat.  Stir in pasta.  Lower heat to a simmer, and cook until pasta is al dente.    Discard bay leaf and stems from thyme.   Add spinach here if you like and stir a few times until wilted.

Serve with crusty bread and top with shredded cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment